GastroKids provides easy to understand information about the treatment and management of pediatric digestive conditions for children and parents. They have a wealth of information in multiple languages (English, Spanish and French) to help parents and teens navigate how specific conditions are diagnosed, treated and managed for the short- or long-term. They have downloadable guides, videos, podcasts and pre-screened external links. Patients can also connect with them on Facebook and Twitter.
In addition to their pediatric digestive disorders A-Z Glossary, GastroKids has collected in-depth information on the following most common conditions:
- Pediatric Celiac Disease, a serious condition caused by a permanent intolerance for gluten–a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley.
- Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE), an inflammatory condition in which the wall of the esophagus becomes filled with large numbers of white blood cells causing symptoms similar to GERD.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease, which includes both ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Reflux and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) – Reflux or spitting up is very common in young children. It becomes GERD when reflux causes troublesome symptoms such as weight loss, bleeding, respiratory problems or esophagitis.
- The Nutrition and Obesity section gives information about healthy eating and fitness.
GastroKids is patient outreach and education effort of NASPGHAN – the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition – an organization of more than 1,400 pediatric gastroenterologists, predominantly in 46 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Mexico and 8 provinces in Canada.