In this episode
Kelli and NICU Healing‘s Kara Wahlin discuss:
- Preparing emotionally and physically to care for a NICU graduate
- Common fears of meeting the needs of a medically fragile child
- How to combat the impact of isolation and anxiety while caring for your baby at home
- Common stressors when caring for a baby after the NICU
- Follow-up care and advocating for your baby after the NICU
- Finding the joy in every day and every milestone
Resources mentioned in this podcast
- Preemie: Lessons in Love, Life & Motherhood, by Kasey Matthews
From Hand to Hold:
- Resources Every NICU Family Should Know
- Coming Home from the NICU: 10 Things to Tell Your Friends and Family
- Advocating for Your Kids: How to Win Friends and Influence Providers
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Tips on Discharge and Bringing Home Baby
- The Preemie Perspective on Coming Home
- Teams & Machines: 10 Tips for Baby’s Homecoming
- The Anxiety of Bringing Home Baby
- Fear of Leaving the NICU
Listeners may also find these resources helpful
- A Parent’s Guide to the NICU: Things to Know Before Discharge
- Life After the NICU
- Hand to Hold: NICU Family Forum
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.