In this episode
Kelli speaks with special guest Kelley Benham French, micro preemie mom and co-author Juniper: The Girl Who was Born Too Soon, about:
- The emotional experiences she faced in the NICU when her daughter Juniper was born at 23 weeks, 6 days
- Her feelings of failure for delivering her daughter early and struggling with pumping
- Her difficulty identifying as Juniper’s mother, and the agony of watching her daughter fight for her life in the NICU
Resources mentioned in this podcast
- Juniper: The Girl Who was Born Too Soon, by Kelley Benham French and Tom French
- “Never Let Go,” Tampa Bay Times
- RadioLab: 23 Weeks, 6 Days
From Hand to Hold:
- Is this Normal? How the NICU Impacts Your Emotional Health
- Finding a Professional Counselor
- The Benefits of Kangaroo Care
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Coming to Terms with Not Going to Term: One Mother’s Journey Through Premature Delivery Guilt
- Coping with Preemie Mommy Guilt
- Hello, My Name is Guilt
- Resentment in the NICU and Finding Peace
- Packing the Pump Away
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.