In this episode
Kelli speaks with special guest Katie Pendleton, LCSW about:
- What happens to our bodies and minds when we experience a traumatic event
- Signs and symptoms of postpartum depression and postpartum anxiety, the difference between PPD and PTSD, and what you can do if you suspect you are suffering from either or both
- The perception of therapy and what causes parents to hesitate to see a professional counselor
- How PPD and PTSD can differ in mothers and fathers
- How mental health disorders impact marriage
Resources mentioned in this podcast
From Hand to Hold:
- Is This Normal? How the Stress of the NICU Impacts Your Emotional Health
- Understanding PTSD: When the Stress of the NICU Persists
- How to Survive the NICU
- Finding a Professional Counselor
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Knowing the Signs of Postpartum Depression
- Postpartum Depression After a Complicated Delivery
- Postpartum PTSD: How to Manage a Traumatic Birth Experience
- Postpartum Stress & Mental Health After a Preemie
- The NICU and Its Many Emotions
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.