In this episode
Kelli speaks with award-winning speaker, life-balance coach and author of The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal, Renee Trudeau, about self care and replenishing yourself during a stressful time. This episode will include:
- What is self care?
- Being aware of your body’s needs and giving yourself permission to respond to those needs
- The difference between physical and spiritual self care
- How you can replenish yourself during a stressful NICU stay
- Quick self-care exercises you can apply at home
Resources mentioned in this podcast
- The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal
- Live Inside Out with Renee Trudeau
- 5 Ways to Start Your Day & Change Your Life
- 7 Good Reasons to Ask for Help
- Tara Brach
From Hand to Hold:
- Is This Normal? How the NICU Impacts Your Emotional Health
- How to Survive the NICU: Top 10 Tips for Mom’s Health
- The Four Areas of Self Care
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Put Your Oxygen Mask on First: Practicing Good Self Care
- Loving Yourself
- Taking Care of YOU with a Special Needs Child
BONUS! Our listeners can now access these meditation exercises led by Renee:
- Equal Part Breathing Meditation (about 6 minutes)
- Body Sensing Exercise (about 7 minutes)
Access both here. There is a pause in between each recording. Listeners will want to turn up the volume all the way; these are soft. Make sure to keep a journal/pen nearby!
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.