In this episode
Kelli talks with special guests Patricia Weiner and Emily Lawton about:
- Using books as a way to bond with your NICU baby
- The benefits of reading on baby’s brain development
- The best types of books to read to your baby in the NICU
Resources mentioned in this podcast
Books Patty Recommends:
- On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
- Where Is Baby’s Belly Button? by Karen Katz
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Short poems and nursery rhymes
From Hand to Hold:
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Reading to Your Preemie: One of the Greatest Gifts You Can Give
- Children’s Books About Prematurity
- What Does That Mean? Reading Baby’s Cues
Listeners may also find these resources helpful:
- Reading to Babies Upon Birth (pdf)
- New program helps parents and NICU babies bond through recorded books
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.