Hand to Hold carefully matches seasoned parents (Helping Hands) with new parents in need of support.
These peer-to-peer relationships inspire hope and offer the chance to ask personal questions and receive support from someone who is uniquely familiar with the experience of high-risk pregnancy, preterm birth, life in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, a child or multiples born with a special health care need, loss of pregnancy and/or infant loss.
Helping Hands must complete our online curriculum before being matched with a new parent. Training focuses on the difference between peer-to-peer support and support provided by a trained professional counselor. Information regarding effective listening skills, signs of post-traumatic stress disorder and self-care is also provided. Please contact us if you’d like to help or you have questions.
Steps to Volunteer as a Peer Mentor
- Join our Volunteer List to indicate your interest. Read through our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Answer a few questions so we know more about you and your NICU experience.
- Our volunteer coordinator will be in touch to set up a phone call to discuss your interests and answer your questions.
- Complete the online training at your own pace.
- Participate in a background check.
- Sign off on a Volunteer Agreement which describes confidentiality policies and set volunteer expectations.
- Get matched with a family who has requested support.