Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of families who have had a loss or a baby in the NICU? We invite you to consider joining our team.
Here at Hand to Hold, our success comes from passionate team members who demonstrate strong initiative and responsibility, plus the ability to adapt and face challenges as our organization grows.
Current Job Openings
Opening for Hand to Hold Family Support Specialist
Hand to Hold, a national non-profit providing support for families in the NICU, seeks a part-time Family Support Specialist. This position provides peer psycho-social support and education for NICU families in partnership with hospital staff. Leaning on their own personal experience and specific peer support training, the Family Support Specialist is responsible for supporting NICU families in both community and hospital settings either one-on-one or in a group. The Family Support Specialist’s primary responsibilities include visiting families one-on-one at their baby’s bedside, facilitating weekly support programs, distributing milestone beads and hosting holiday events, all with a goal to reduce the negative impact of a NICU stay and ensure the best outcome for the entire family. There are also reporting requirements to supervisors and hospital staff about the interactions with families.
The Family Support Specialist serves as the first, and sometimes only, representation of Hand to Hold within the hospital for NICU staff and NICU families. This care provider must demonstrate an empathetic personality combined with a dynamic professional attitude to convey Hand to Hold’s mission and values on behalf of the entire organization.
Reporting to the Director of Programs, this hourly position is estimated to be 15 to 20 hours per week. In this role, qualified applicants are required to be available to serve shifts at St. David’s Women’s Center of Texas up to three times per week. Preference will be given to bilingual candidates that speak both English and Spanish. Personal experience with Hand to Hold’s mission is required.
- Provides support and encouragement to families during their antepartum and/or NICU stay.
- Identifies and provides timely and effective peer psycho-social support and interventions for families.
- Disburses Hand to Hold resources and NICU Milestone beads to parents and families in the NICU.
- Facilitates support groups using Hand to Hold’s custom support group curriculum.
- Facilitates sibling events using Hand to Hold’s custom sibling support curriculum.
- Helps families identify and access medical and therapeutic services in their community.
- Helps families find financial resources and navigate insurance systems.
- Provides bereavement support for families who have experienced a loss while in antepartum or NICU.
- Serves as liaison between Hand to Hold and NICU staff.
- Tracks and reports program data to measure impact, performance and overall effectiveness of the program.
- Ensures Hand to Hold posters and brochures are always visible and available, where appropriate.
- Helps to recruit volunteers and peer mentors.
- Submits weekly and monthly reports – timesheets, expense reports – in a timely fashion.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Personal experience with a child or loved one in the NICU is required.
- Certification in peer support by the State of Texas, or willing to complete certification, is required.
- Ability to provide culturally competent support and education in English. Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred.
- Work or internship experience in health care, early childhood intervention, or maternal health care programs.
- Experience working with children and families, including those with disabilities.
- Willingness to learn and apply best practices in health literacy and medical education.
- Willingness to learn and abide by best practices in peer support.
- Ability to work both independently and on teams.
- Ability to think proactively, address problems creatively, and take initiative appropriately.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills and verbal communication skills.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.