Episode 89: Food Allergies & the Holidays
Guest: Vanessa Gonzales Kraft, Owner, Que Bueno Bakery & Food Allergy Mom
Food and the holidays go hand-in-hand, but when there is an allergy or restriction they can often be stressful and full of anxiety. Cottage bakery owner and food allergy mama, Vanessa Kraft, walks you through what an allergy might look like, ways to be a hospitable host and tips for adjusting to an allergy-free kitchen.
In this episode, we chat about:
- Tell me a little bit about your NICU stay with your twins.
- When did you first notice food allergies in your children?
- How did you go about introducing new foods to them?
- When did you seek the advice or intervention from a specialist?
- What was the toll on that experience like for your family?
- How did you respond (plug for your bakery!)?
- What surprised you the most about your new-found love for baking?
- As families enter into the holidays, the dinner table can often be a source of stress if your child has food allergies. What are some tips you have to make it less stressful and more manageable?
- What’s your best advice to a NICU mom who just learned her child has a food allergy and she’s feeling overwhelmed?
Vanessa Kraft is a mom of six daughters. One daughter has multiple food allergies and Vanessa’s twins were preemies that spent time in the NICU. Because of her daughter’s food allergies she started Que Bueno Bakery, one that is safe for people with food allergies and dietary restrictions, but also delicious because everyone should get to be in on the fun of celebrations!
Connect with Vanessa:
Watch on YouTube
Never miss out by subscribing to our channel here
Help other people find the show by sharing this video on your social media!
Listen and Subscribe
The NICU is hard. We’re here to help.
Hand to Hold is a national nonprofit dedicated to providing neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) parents with personalized emotional support, educational resources and community before, during and after their baby’s NICU stay. NICU support is available at no cost to NICU parents in English and Spanish.
Hand to Hold's podcasts are produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for content.