Episode 5: Overcoming Communication Barriers of Family Centered Care
In this episode:
- What is the Narrative Initiative and how it was started?
- How NICU professionals can find commonality with NICU parents
- What is patient and family-centered care?
- How language in communication affects those we’re communicating with
- How best to communicate with parents in the NICU
Guest: Dr. Lorraine Dickey
This episode is sponsored by Huggies®.
Resources mentioned in this podcast
- Narrative Medicine, as mentioned by Rita Charon, general internist and literary scholar at Columbia University
- The Narrative Initiative
- The Narrative Initiative on Facebook
- International Journal of Communication and Healthcare
- Dr. Lorraine Dickey
- Gathering of Kindness
- The Hush Foundation
The NICU Heroes podcast was made possible through numerous individual donations and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content.
Support Our Podcasts!
Donate now to ensure families and NICU professionals continue to receive family-friendly support and education through our podcasts. If you are interested in sponsoring the podcast, please contact Sarah Inbau.
This page was last modified on firstname.lastname@example.org.. If you see any information that needs to be updated or corrected, please contact