Kelli speaks with Tom French, preemie father and co-author of the book Juniper: The Girl Who Was Born Too Soon, about:
- The emotional premature birth of his daughter Juniper at 23 weeks, 6 days
- How reading Harry Potter aloud to her in the NICU helped get them both through the difficult six-month NICU journey
- How the NCU affects fathers and the importance of therapy and support for both parents Tom is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and co-author of Juniper: The Girl Who Was Born Too Soon.
Make sure to also listen to Episode 4: Finding Your Footing as Parents in the Zero Zone, in which Kelli speaks with Tom’s wife and co-author, Kelley Benham French.
Resources mentioned in this podcast
- Juniper: The Girl Who Was Born Too Soon
- 23 Weeks, 6 Days
- Update: 23 Weeks, 6 Days
- Video: These parents say the power of Harry Potter saved their premature daughter
From Hand to Hold:
- Is This Normal? How the Stress of the NICU Impacts Your Emotional Health
- Finding a Professional Counselor
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Reading to Your Preemie: One of the Greatest Gifts You Can Give
- Knowing the Signs of Postpartum Depression
- Postpartum Depression & PTSD in Fathers
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.