This episode of Hand to Hold’s NICU Now Podcast is sponsored by Prolacta Bioscience®, the pioneer in providing 100% donor milk-based nutrition for premature infants in the NICU. Only Prolacta offers a Human Milk Fortifier made exclusively from 100% donor milk. For more information visit prolacta.com.
In this episode
- Kelli describes the overwhelming emotions upon meeting her micro preemie son, Jackson, for the first time.
- What is anticipatory grief and what does it mean for NICU parents?
- What emotions can parents expect when faced with a NICU experience/meeting their baby for the first time?
- Different ways in which grief and shame manifest themselves in NICU parents.
- How moms and dads process guilt/grief differently.
Resources mentioned in this podcast
- Preemie by Kasey Matthews
- Anticipatory grief, as described by Dr. Michael Hynan, NICU parent and Professor Emeritus of Clinical Psychology at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Member of the Board of Directors of the National Perinatal Association
- Kara Wahlin, licensed marriage and family therapist and owner of NICU Healing
- C. JoyBell C., author
From Hand to Hold:
- Is This Normal? How the NICU Impacts Your Emotional Health
- How to Survive the NICU
- Everything is Together, Why am I Falling Apart?
- Understanding PTSD: When the Stress of the NICU Persists
- Finding a Professional Counselor
From Preemie Babies 101, Hand to Hold’s Official Blog:
- Coming to Terms with Not Going to Term
- 5 Myths about the NICU and Your Mental and Emotional Health
- Techniques for Building Resilience in the NICU
- Postpartum Depression and PTSD in Fathers
- PTSD: How to Manage a Traumatic Birth Experience
Listeners may also find these resources helpful:
- Grieving and Coping After Your Baby’s Birth and Hospitalization in the NICU, from NICU Parenting
- A Parent’s Guide to the NICU – Emotional Responses of Parents, from Rockford Health System
- Common Parent Reactions to the NICU, from HealthyChildren.org
- NICU Parents: A Secret Society, from NICU Healing
- Is Growth Possible After a Trauma? from NICU Healing
Subscribe to the NICU Now Podcast!
Do you have suggestions or comments about the podcast? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your feedback here.
The NICU Now Audio Support Series was made possible through numerous individual donations, a grant from Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content. Episodes are sponsored in part by Prolacta Bioscience and Huggies. Production by Milam Film Works, and music provided by The Mrs.
Donate now to ensure families continue to receive family-friendly support through the NICU Now Podcast! If you are interested in sponsoring an episode, please contact jessica [at] handtohold [dot] org.