Simple Ways to Help
When someone you care about is in the NICU, it’s often difficult to know just how to help them. Here are a few suggestions and resources that NICU families find most helpful.
- Set up a meal calendar via Care Calendar, SignUp Genius or even a shared Google Doc.
- Offer childcare for older children so parents can visit the NICU. This may include morning and afternoon carpools, after school care, playdates and more.
- Perform household duties: mow their lawn, run errands, walk their dog or set up grocery delivery.
- Put together a gift basket of useful items
- If there’s a holiday or special occasion coming up, decorate their home, take their other children trick-or-treating or help run important holiday-related errands.
- Avoid asking when the baby is coming home. This may add to their already overwhelming feelings.
- Check in via text, email or phone calls. Don’t be offended if they do not reply. Just knowing you care means a lot to them.
- Tell them about Hand to Hold’s podcasts.
- Let them know how they can get a peer mentor, someone who has been there and can help guide them through the NICU journey.
Get our free materials for your local hospital. Our informational rack card introduces NICU parents and medical professionals to our free support programs. Just pay shipping.