Simple Ways to Help
When someone you care about is in the NICU, it’s often difficult to know just how to help them. Here are a few suggestions and resources that NICU families find most helpful.
- Set up a meal calendar via Care Calendar, SignUp Genius or even a shared Google Doc.
- Offer childcare for older children so parents can visit the NICU. This may include morning and afternoon carpools, after school care, playdates, and more.
- Perform household duties: mow their lawn, run errands, walk their dog, or set up grocery delivery.
- Put together a gift basket of useful items
- If there’s a holiday or special occasion coming up, decorate, take their other children trick-or-treating, or help run important errands.
- Avoid asking when the baby is coming home. This may add to their already overwhelming feelings.
- Check in via text, email, or phone calls. Don’t be offended if they do not reply. Just knowing you care means a lot to them.
- Tell them about the NICU Now podcast, our free audio support series for NICU parents.
- Visit our Pinterest boards for more valuable resources.
Get our free materials for your local hospital. These materials introduce NICU parents to our free support programs. The following resources can be shared with your hospital contact: