Simple Ways to Help
When someone you care about is in the NICU, it’s often difficult to know just how to help them. Here are a few suggestions and resources that NICU families find most helpful.
- Set up a meal calendar via Care Calendar, SignUp Genius or even a shared Google Doc.
- Offer childcare for older children so parents can visit the NICU. This may include morning and afternoon carpools, after school care, playdates and more.
- Perform household duties: mow their lawn, run errands, walk their dog or set up grocery delivery.
- Put together a gift basket of useful items
- If there’s a holiday or special occasion coming up, decorate their home, take their other children trick-or-treating or help run important holiday-related errands.
- Avoid asking when the baby is coming home. This may add to their already overwhelming feelings.
- Check in via text, email or phone calls. Don’t be offended if they do not reply. Just knowing you care means a lot to them.
- Tell them about Hand to Hold’s podcasts.
- Let them know how they can get a peer mentor, someone who has been there and can help guide them through the NICU journey.