When someone you care about is in the NICU, it’s often difficult to know just how to help them. Here are a few suggestions and resources that NICU families find most helpful.
- Set up a meal calendar via Care Calendar, SignUp Genius or even a shared Google Doc.
- Offer childcare for older children so parents can visit the NICU. This may include morning and afternoon carpools, after school care, playdates, and more.
- Perform household duties: mow their lawn, run errands, walk their dog, or set up grocery delivery.
- Put together a gift basket of useful items
- If there’s a holiday or special occasion coming up, decorate, take their other children trick-or-treating, or help run important errands.
- Avoid asking when the baby is coming home. This may add to their already overwhelming feelings.
- Check in via text, email, or phone calls. Don’t be offended if they do not reply. Just knowing you care means a lot to them.
- Tell them about the NICU Now podcast, our free audio support series for NICU parents.
- Visit our Pinterest boards for more valuable resources.