Hand to Hold’s Ambassador Program offers comprehensive in-hospital support for NICU families.
Our program is designed to enhance and extend your hospital’s current family support initiatives, and introduce new program options customized to meet the unique needs of your NICU population.
Led by a Hand to Hold Ambassador – a local, trained NICU graduate parent – this program will help your hospital extend the family-centered care requirements of today’s NICUs.
Our in-hospital programs and services include:
Whole Family Support
- Bedside Support – Ambassadors visit NICU families in the hospital, as well as those in antepartum care, providing families with essential and powerful peer support, recognized by the NPA as a critical part of NICU care.
- Support Group – Hand to Hold’s unique support curriculum leads NICU families through a five-week program of important topics, facilitated by an Ambassador or NICU staff.
- Family Events – Being around other NICU parents can be comforting and healing for NICU families. The Ambassador Program provides regular events for parents to connect and celebrate special occasions and holidays throughout the year.
- Family Support Bags – We will work with you to put together useful goodies and helpful information, all in one handy, reusable bag.
Hand to Hold’s professionally researched and written resources give families the information they need to care for their children physically, financially, and emotionally. The following resources are available in our online Medical Professionals Resource Store in both English and Spanish:
- NICU Graduate Handbook
- Navigating the NICU Handbook
- Finding Balance Between NICU and Home
- Answering Your Child’s Questions About a Baby in the NICU
- I’m Special, Too: Ways to Help Siblings Feel Important
- Grieving Together as a Family
- Sibling Sundaes Support Group Kit
- Sibling NICU Tour Video
- Siblings Are Special Activity Book
- NICU Milestone Bead Program – The NICU Milestone Bead Program encourages parent participation in support and education programs throughout their baby’s NICU stay.
- Bedside Decorations – Bedside decorations bring joy to the space for major events and holidays.
- Sibling Sundaes Support Event – During these fun, educational events, siblings learn about the special people caring for their baby brother or sister, the equipment that is helping them grow stronger each day, and the important role they will play as big brother or sister when the baby comes home.
- Sibling NICU Tour DVD – Available in English and Spanish, this engaging video answers common questions siblings have about their baby brother or sister’s NICU stay and eventual homecoming.
- Sibling Activity Pages – This 8-page booklet of coloring pages and activities gives families the tools they need to talk to siblings about the NICU and helps prepare the family for the transition home.
NICU Staff Support
- Continuing Education for NICU Staff – Hand to Hold provides a variety of staff training and continuing education options that can be customized to meet the needs of your NICU.
- NICU Heroes Podcast – The NICU Heroes podcast was created exclusively for NICU professionals, helping them to better understand, support, and nurture the entire NICU family. Each episode has been approved for one contact hour of nursing continuing education.