Episode 4: Helping Parents Bond with their Babies in the NICU
In this episode:
- The importance of the child/parent bond
- What is Family Nurture Intervention?
- How to better help families become emotionally connected to their baby in the NICU
- What is comfort touch and kangaroo care?
- What is scent cloth exchange and its benefits?
- How is eye contact important in the NICU?
- Voice in the NICU
- Kelli discusses the difference between bonding with a newborn just after delivery and bonding with a medically fragile infant in the NICU
- How bonding benefits the baby and the parent
- How parents suffering from PPD may find it more difficult to bond with their baby, and how parents can process their emotions so they can start the bonding process
- The benefits of parents being integrated into their baby’s care in the NICU
Guests: Kara Wahlin & Jasmine LeCoursiere
This episode is sponsored by Huggies®.
The NICU Heroes podcast was made possible through numerous individual donations and is produced by Hand to Hold, which is solely responsible for its content.