Heather’s Birth Story

May 29, 2013

My birth story starts on April 20, 2012, but I’m gonna give a little background information first. Back in 2008 I had a pap smear and was told I had cervical dysplasia… I had to have the tip of my cervix scraped off before the dysplasia turned into cancer. My menstrual cycle has always been abnormal, at the time I conceived my child it had been 5 years since I had a period. So that’s a little background of my situation, now back to April 20.

I did well you know what I did, and had no idea what was gonna happen, especially since I wasn’t menstruating. I had gone on the pill a few weeks after to try to regulate things, and when I didn’t start my period when I should have, I took a test just to make sure. When that test and the three other tests I took came back positive I made an appointment with an OB. When she did the ultrasound, sure enough there was a baby in there and I was seven weeks pregnant! For the next several weeks things were pretty normal. All my ultrasounds looked great. At twenty weeks is when I found out it was a boy. 
I had an ultrasound at 26 weeks and everything was still looking good. That was a Thursday.  Then a couple days later on Saturday, I went to work and halfway through my shift I started feeling sharp pains… but thought it was just him moving around. I finished my shift and went home, I had those pains all night. On Sunday morning October 21, the pains were so bad I couldn’t walk. I woke up and there was blood everywhere. I told my brother in law to take me to the hospital.  
When we got there, they hooked me up to fetal monitors. My sister showed up who was in town from England. When the on-call OB arrived, he took one look and said I was fully dilated and that they had to get him out before neither one of us won’t make it. They took me in for a c-section and got him out within thirty minutes. He came out trying to cry.

They hooked him up to a vent. When they did an ultrasound he had a grade four brain bleed on the right side and a grade three on the left side. He had two blood transfusions. He has had four surgeries. He has a shunt for the bleeds and a feeding tube to help with nutrition. He didn’t have to come home with oxygen. 
He was at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden for 40 days and had to get transferred to a children’s hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was there for 101 days. It turns out I had a placental abruption. 
The best day of my whole life was March 11, 2013, when my son Kayden got to come home. He has been a wonderful blessing to me and my family. He truly is a miracle. I know we have a long road ahead of us but if we take it one day at a time we will be just fine.